Friday, January 9, 2009

A few facts and lots of questions.

Today I find myself with very few answers but lots of observations and a few questions. First the observations.

Polarizing talk. If we aren’t engaging in it we are hearing about someone else who is or we are listening to it.

Talk radio. A big part of our lives these days. If we aren’t listening to it we are hearing the latest outrageous remark or accusation from someone else.

Television personalities. Many of them seem to have only part of the story but they inflate that part into the whole story.

Newspaper reporters. Under pressure to get the big story and with no time to do the background digging necessary to put events in context for readers.

The rest of us. We hate being lied to. We hate being fooled by a plausible story. We want the truth. Sort of. That is, if it isn’t too painful or negative.

Then the questions:

What is truth? Is it what I think is true? Or what you think is true?

Does truth have anything to do with facts? What is a fact? Do I care about facts? Or would I rather stick to my ideology?

Is ideology truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment