Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Spending and Simplicity: the cycle

My favorite morning read is the Huffington Post. I walk away from my computer feeling informed on current issues and fairly satisfied that the world has not imploded while I slept. This morning a blog by Peggy Drexler caught my eye. You can read her post here.

Drexler speculates that the recession is teaching some hard lessons about spending that are likely to be forgotten as soon as times are good again. She may be right. We humans are notorious for ignoring the lessons of the past and charging into the future without thought for the consequences. And, as she so rightly points out, things are fun to own and use. I write this on a roll top desk – lots of cubbyholes, lots of beautiful wood, lots of fun, but so impractical. Think of Professor Cosmo Fishhawk in the comic strip, Shoe. His rolltop desk, overflowing with paper, will give you an idea of the state of my desk.

I wonder if there is any alternative to owning lots of things? Frankly, I am having trouble thinking of even one. Some research says giving to others is deeply satisfying. But is that enough to replace the things we buy and use with so much enthusiasm? Does giving money to the United Way satisfy the itch to spend?

Perhaps the question is why do we enjoy spending so much? True, the toys that money buys are the one sign of success that is totally quantifiable. Two computers are twice as good. A larger house is better than a smaller one. A new car is better than an old car. And beside all that, spending stimulates the economy which really needs stimulating right now.

Opting out of the make money/spend money cycle feels like quitting. Buying a used car feels like self denial. A small house feels cramped and crowded. Last year’s computer feels slow and clunky. Last year’s clothing styles are embarrassing to wear. Giving to United Way may make us good team players at work but since no one knows what we gave, the amount of our gift cannot be used as evidence of success.

Evidence of success to whom? To whom are we signaling? Who is watching? Against whom do we compete in the game of “mine is bigger and better”? Maybe it isn’t things that are the sign of success; maybe it is the money itself. Maybe the more money we have the bigger success we are. Then we spend the money as proof of our success to, well, everyone!

Okay. Now I have it – the perfect thing! No need to buy lots of things that will end up at the thrift store. Instead, a wrist band with LED display of my bank account balance! But wait. Which bank balance? Savings? Checking? Retirement? Okay, I need at least three wrist bands and maybe one to display my charitable contributions? What about investments? That makes five. Okay, one wrist band with a revolving display.

I may be on to something here… Maybe I finally have an idea that will make buckets of money. Then everyone will know I’m a success…big cars…big houses…media centers…personal jet…jewelry…and, of course, my wrist band.

No comments:

Post a Comment